Nose Cancer :Causes ,Diagnosis, Symptoms and Prevention
Nose cancer also called the cancer of nasal cavity or cancer of paranasal sinuses. Nose cancer is a relatively rare condition and more common among males than females.
Causes Of Nose Cancer / Risk Factors For Nose Cancer
- Smoking is the most common and well established risk factor for nose cancer.
- Exposure to certain chemicals causes nose cancer e.g. a. leather dust b. nickel c. chromium dust d. formaldehyde
- Radiotherapy for hereditary retinoblastoma
- Age more than 45 years is more suggestive for the development of this tumor
- Benign nose conditions like polyps increase the risk
- HPV although more commonly associated with cervical cancer is known to cause nose cancer as well.
- Passive smoking also increases the risk
- Fiber and asbestos exposure increases risk
- Previous history of non-hodgkin lymphoma.
- A positive family history
- Male gender.
- Low immunity also increases risk
- Particles inhaled in metal-platting
- Dust in sawmill is a risk factor
- Dust in flour mill or bakeries may increase the risk for developing this tumor.
Symptoms Of Nose Cancer
- Nasal congestion is an early symptom associated with this tumor.
- Bleeding from nose.
- Throat swelling may be observed
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Voice changes may be seen
- Anemia like in other cancers is observed as well.
- Weakness of face muscle.
- Swelling and weakness of tongue can be a complaint with this.
- Infections of ear , nose and throat are common
- Falling eye sight.
- Hearing problem can occur
- Production of pus from the effected side
- Lump in neck may be observed
- Difficulty in moving neck and shoulders is seen in assoction with the condition.
Types Of Malignant Nose Cancer Cells And The Areas Where They Cause The Symptoms:
|Squamous cell Carcinoma||Lining inside the sinuses and the nasal cavity|
|Melanoma||Skin’s Natural Color|
|Sarcoma||Muscles and connective tissues|
|Inverting Papilloma||Inside the nose|
|Midline Granulomas||Tissues in the middle part of the face|
Medical treatment of nose cancer, like that of other tumors and neoplasms depends upon the staging and grading of the tumor.
Diagnosis Of Nose Cancer
Diagnosis is made by taking the biopsy from nose or swelling in throat and then studied under microscope.
Treatment options include following modalities.
- Radio therapy
A combination of radio therapy and chemo therapy give great result regarding nose cancers however surgery can be required .
PROGNOSIS of the tumor , fortunately , with early diagnosis and prompt treatment is good and in many cases merely radiotherapy is enough for treating the early diagnosed tumor.
PREVENTION OF NOSE CANCER
As always said , prevention is better than cure. Following points should be considered regarding prevention of this tumor.
- Avoid smoking
- Screening in families with a positive history.
- If occupational hazard , get routinely assessed for.